Martineau Place

Martineau Place
Main Sponsor

Saturday 14 January 2012

Iceman freezes.

@Icemanblueboy

All week I had been planning to go out and get some miles under my belt on Saturday morning, training for @cyclingforharry. I had really enjoyed my trip out last weekend with some of the other team members and it had been the first time that I had got to meet any of them before. Previously we had all hidden behind Twitter accounts!! Due to family commitments this coming Sunday I was unable to join the team ride.
Most of my week had been taken up checking the weather on the tinterweb and listening to the weather forecasts on the TV. The temperatures were due to plummet towards the backend of the week..Great...Just what I didnt want but after all it is January.
I awoke around 8am and looked out of the bedroom window, white everywhere, all the grass in the garden was frozen and the roads looked very dangerous indeed. I heard a grunt from the bedroom..it was the wife...telling me it was too dangerous to go out there..you might slip and get knocked off your bike she said..I offered her the chance to go and test the roads but this was declined!!!
I decided to get up and get my stuff ready anyway..my personal mechanic (the father-in-law) had been round in the week to "service" my bike so I wanted to check that he hadnt purposly left off any bolts or more to the point, my brakes were still working..no that I don't trust him!!!

10am and the roads looked to be thawing out a bit so I decided that the time had come...

Er indoors had been on all week at me that I had not used any of the things she had bought me for Christmas..so when the father in law serviced the bike he had also fitted a trip computer, a water bottle holder and a small bag for a pump and my mobile phone.
I shouted upstairs that I was off..the reply was dont forget the stuff I got you for Christmas..ok love no problem....I set off and I looked a right pratt with all the christmas stuff, I mean its difficult to cycle with two books, a soap on a rope round your neck and a selection box stuffed in your shirt but she was admant that I used the christmas stuff...the only good thing was the aftershave smelt nice..and you never know who you might meet!!!

My intention was to do 30 miles. I intended to use my own route and then use some of the route we used last week that was mapped out by @allenjamesuk this should bring me up to the 30 mile mark. The roads were ok but the cold wind in your face was really quite painful...there were a lot of cyclists out on the roads and most were pleasant although some still respond to a "good morning" not sure what is wrong with these people..anyway never mind.
15 miles in and I was back into Knowle where I live, here I have to negotiate the high st and a right turn..so mirror, signal, manouvre and I was out waiting to turn at this point I feel a car coming up behind me..it cam past so close it nearly took a coat of paint of my bike..a few expletives left my mouth and I quickly apologised to the young family out walking!! Just goes to show that some drivers are quite oblivious of cyclists.
At this point I joind the route that the team had done previously, strange that last week I didnt notice too many hills but this week I was suffering..its amazing the difference cycling solo than cycling with in a team and people giving you encouragement...the sun was out and it was a beautiful day..although it was that cold that when I reached for my water bottle and had a drink, the water was too cold to drink and nearly frozen...
Out cycling you get to see things you miss in a car, some lovely views, some lovely houses, some not so very nice farmyard smells...good job I had the christmas after shave on...
After 28 miles the endomondo tracking device decides to pause..I stopped and resume the device, 20 seconds later it paused. this went on 5 or 6 times untill I eventually turned ot off..I was well annoyed as this was going to be my longest ride so far...anyway I head home..by this time my back was aching...the selection box was now very uncomfortable...
Arrived home my trip computer on the bike was 33.5 miles..fantastic...my gallant steed called "the oldride" had done me proud..she was rewarded with a spray of WD40 and she was returned to her stable (the shed).
My training was over...I walked in the house..the wife was there.."I cant belive you went out in that"........well she did tell me to use the stuff she got me for Christmas!!!!!

Keep those wheels rolling
The Iceman (Ben Frost)
@Icemanblueboy

Icemans Route

5 comments:

  1. Still laughing about the selection box. hahaha
    Quality outing my friend

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great work. i also went out this morning about same time and done a steady 20 mile, found it quite tough today with it being so cold struggling to breathe and getting in enough oxygen to keep me going but never the less was happy with 20 in hour and a half.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice ride iceman !

    Remember @primal2001 on twitter if you ever need a wingman, he never works weekends and is always up for a ride. His not too bad either, just keeps bloody pedalling and never moans.

    ReplyDelete
  4. brilliant Iceman - unless I win something major again for this weekend I am up for a cycle ride Sat morning and Sunday :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely lovin’ your work Iceman!! KRO to the end of the rd - literally. With you in spirit all the way.
    Toshiba

    ReplyDelete