Martineau Place

Martineau Place
Main Sponsor

Saturday 24 March 2012

Iceman Returns


Saturday 24th March

I was unable to take part in the team ride this Sunday due to my church commitments on Sunday at the church if St Andrews in Birmingham. Therefore I had always intended to get on out the roads on Saturday morning.
I read on the internet that what you put in your body obviously affects you performance with this in mind I thought I might change my pre ride meal on Friday evening...so instead of my normal lamb balti, I ordered a chicken tikka balti with aloo potatoes..just to see if this would enhance my performance. Also instead of fueling up on my usual 5 or 6 pints of Stella Artios I chose Peroni..
If all else failed I would have a bit of wind power to help me along....

Friday evening I had been over to @bcfcboz house to try on a cycling shirt ready for the big day in May..we had a good chat..and it really sunk it to me what a big cause this is and how much time and devotion certain people put in...I take my cycling helmet off to you all...

Saturday morning arrived and I awoke with a dog in my bed something that had not happened for a long time...the wife was not pleased!!! Now its not what you are thinking...more's the pity...but it was Bernie our recent addition to the Frost family, he is our 9 week old puppy and he was keen to get me out of bed..I mean it was 06:40...

I looked down at my poor helmet, it looked a bit worse for the wear and was covered in dust, well it had been a while since it had been used... at least three weeks since I had my hernia operation!!!!
But I knew it was time to get the helmet back onto "the oldride" which as you know is the name for my trusty steed that I hope will carry me on the ride to Wembley...
I dressed and had a bit of breakfast and after an abloutions visit I was ready for the off..I wanted to get 25 miles under my belt just to getiback into the swing of things having not trained for three weeks..well thats what the wife thinks..good job she hasn't got a twitter account!!
The roads where covered by a blanket of fog but after a while the sun broke through and it turned out to be perfect cycling weather...I found the first few miles a bit tough and I was thinking of stopping for a few minutes when from a road on my left three young ladies dressed in very tight lycra appeared on their bikes...I of course being a gentleman let them out and I tucked in behind them..we had a little chat I told them that I was in training for @cyclingforharry and they promised to view the website...At this point I must of scared them off instead of asking if I could ride alongside them, I spluttered out the words "can I ride you for a bit"..they burst out laughing and took a sharp exit right..I being very embarrassed put my head down and went straight on..
Three young fit women and I had blown it...oh well..if they read this I hope they had a laugh...

The miles were mounting up and I felt good, not sure if it was the "wind" assitance of the balti curry or the thought of the three young ladies in the lycra..but it was good to be back on the "oldride"
I passed a few other cyclists, obviously some of them were very jealous of my cycling for Harry vest as they ingnored my greeting of "morning", its amazing how ignorant soem people can be although I must add most cyclists did respond...
I was nearly home and the peptalk on my phone told me that I had completed 28 miles..it had flown past...I may as well carry on and complete the 30 miles.....at this point I nearly came a cropper..I was approaching a left turn when a silver BMW decided to overtake me and turn left directly in front of me and in the same movement nearly took my front wheel off..I just can't understand why he couldn't of waited..I called hem a word that I don't like to use in front of the children..no not Villa..but C***. He looked in his rear view mirror and obviously was able to lip read!!! He then sarcastically waved at me...I responded with a two finger salute..took his number plate and rode off...revenge will be mine dont you worry...

I arrived back home...and to be honest I was tired but it was good to get a few more miles under my belt....I gave the "oldride" a good oiling and put her back in the stable...
Another good ride, all in the name of @cyclingforharry..ready for that big day in May...

Please donate here... http://www.justgiving.com/CyclingForHarry

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your highly entertaining blog Ben! It was a pleasure to read it and I have to admit that I´m in love with that cute little thing..;)

    ReplyDelete