Martineau Place

Martineau Place
Main Sponsor

Tuesday 27 March 2012

To Warwick and Back it is then!!

It feels like ages since the last time I wrote a blog about our training. Lots and lots of things have been happening behind the scenes of cyclingforharry. I'm not going to bore you with the details as I could be here for ever. Lol

First things First. WE HAVE A NEW WEBSITE!!!!!!

Www.cyclingforharry.co.uk.

I have been working closely with Rob from @combuteit to get a place where you can see all the Cyclingforharry justgiving page,photos, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, sponsors, blog and best of all THE RIDERS PROFILES. Please take a look and give us your feed back. Good or bad. (I'll ignore the bad)
Let's just say its all coming together nicely, although it a little stressing. But worth every minute.
A lot of training has been going on this week. Ian Rogers (22.74 miles and Neil Howkins (3 outings at 29.51 miles) had been out mid week, fair play. Tim @hwoodmonster done 10.20 mile but it looks like he forgot his bike. So he just ran it instead. The @icemanblueboy who also got out for a 30.46 mile stint on Saturday and blogged if for us all as well. Take a look if you haven't seen it.

Sunday is here and I'm woken up by my daughter Laila who thinks that our bed is a perfect trampoline at 7am in the morning. Asking to go downstairs for some Breaky and cartoon viewage. Scrambled egg and ham was the chosen feast washed down with a cup of brew and Peppa Pig on the box.
9.30 arrived and @heathy79 knocks on the window after a 6 mile cycle to get here. Lol. Shortly followed by the gruesome twosome @larknlarks, @l4rk1n and @larks99. Late again is @brunone1.
This is a first, we are all dressed up for a sunny outing not the usual freezing our nips off outing. The conversation quickly turns to my brothers (@benno112) new born Ellie Joy Bennett. So we only thought it fitting in his absence to provide him with an appropriate photo to say congrats.



Congrats to @benno112 from all at cyclingforharry.

The shout before we set off was to aim for the 40mile mark. We set off on our usual route that takes us out in to the countryside. What a day for it!!! The sun is belting down on us, with the beautiful views of the countryside and the strong smell of cow pat. When it's hot that smell is multiplied haha. At one point we had to check @l4rk1ns pants just in case (he is getting old). The miles yet again are ticking over nicely. You can tell that we are getting used to this cycling stuff. I remember back when we had to stop before 10 miles. We are that professional that @larks99 was taking photos of us whilst riding.


@L4rk1n


@bcfcboz


@bcfcboz's Batty crease


@L4rk1n


@heathy79

@brunone1
As we got close to the point where we cross the Warwick Road I had this ingenious idea. "let's go to Warwick Lads" I even amaze myself some times. I'm not just the looks of the outfit you know. Haha
As @heathy79 is leading the way, I give a shout out to him and the rest of the lads to carry straight on. I could sense nervousness in the camp. At one point @larks99 reminds me that we also have to get back from where we are heading. Haha. I tried my best to reassure them that I knew what I was doing and had looked it up the night before. In fact most of that night was spent in my kitchen changing the inner tube on my back wheel because I had a flat. The wife wasn't happy with the state of the kitchen. lol

I didn't have a clue what was ahead. I roughly knew it was 30 minutes away in a car from my house. In fact it proved to be a nice ride in. A few down hills with mostly flat roads. Burning the miles up we get to Warwick Town Centre.
We pull up in the square and all we can see is 2 pubs and a newsagents. As you are aware from previous blogs have a guess which option we chose?
You are wrong!! We chose the newsagents. We come to the conclusion that because we was so far from home having a pint would not be the best decision. Lucozade and chocolate was the shout!! After spending 30 mins or so basking in the sun right next to a pub we can't go in we had to head back. We all realised that those hills we cycled down had to be climbed on the way back. But we was ready for the challenge. We hit those hills at a steady pace lowered our gears and crawled up with no issues. Don't get me wrong, it hurt but we still had energy left in the tank to enjoy the long flat roads in front of us. You would think that the cars would cause us most problems on a fairly busy road like that. But would you believe it's the drain covers that seem to be the biggest problem. A lot of them are dipped in the road and you don't want to be hitting those at a speed because they can pop you tyres. CAN'T THEY @l4rk1n?????
"I've got a flat lads, I've got a flat lads" cries @l4rk1n from the back. We all slowly pull to the side and find a safe place so he can fix his tyre. He had hit one of those drains and 'pop' went the tyre. Even @brunone1 heard it from in front. As you can see @l4rk1n was too busy posing for the photos so I had to change his tyre for him.
Fixed within 10 minutes. Ooooosssshhhh. We are getting better at these punctures. Thanks to the @larknlarks crew. ;-)
Off we set, getting a further 5 mile closer to home only to come across a second problem. Either I was gaining weight or my back tyre seems to be loosing pressure. It was pretty obvious I had a slow puncture. So we stopped again. This was just before another steep hill. I made the decision to quickly put some air into it just until we get to the top and find somewhere better to change the tube so we didn't get cold. We get to the top of that hill and it seems to be fine. So I carry on cycling hoping for the best. 5 minutes later I'm forced to stop again. Right at the bottom of another hill. Same decision is made. Off I get and start pumping. This time it gets me to Knowle Highstreet. Off the wheel comes. Yet another tyre change in around ten minutes. I receive a call off my wife Emma asking me where I am? There's concern in her voice when I tell her I'm in Knowle with a puncture because she has news that visiting time is 2-4 at the hospital to see our new niece Ellie. It's 1.45pm so even I'm starting to worry. Praying for no further problems we set off with me being pace maker. Lol. I wasn't hanging about. Believe it or not there was no problems from that point on. We made great time on that last leg and hit 40 mile before hitting home at 2.10pm.
Clothes ironed and waiting for me, I was ordered to have a shower and get my harris into gear. So that was showered, clothed, chocolate milkshake sunk and at the hospital in 30 minutes. To see my proud little bro @benno112, Kelly and little Ellie. 

@bcfcboz. Proud Uncle
            






@benno112 A tired but proud Daddy
Ellie Joy Bennett, born 24/3/2012 weighing 6lb 12oz

As you can see. I'm very proud of my Brother @benno112 ,Kelly and little Ellie. Now to convince the wife it's time for number two. I can put it down to training for Cyclingforharry. Do you think it will work? :-)
Tweet your answers to @bcfcboz. Lol

Well done lads


1 comment:

  1. Cracking blog and congratulations again big boy shes beautiful

    ReplyDelete