Martineau Place

Martineau Place
Main Sponsor

Tuesday 15 January 2013

Theres Snow stopping us in 2013

Hi all. We are back again. Have you missed us? Are you ready for my bad gramma and terrible England?

First of all can I thank you for all your support in 2012 for our Brum to Wembley event. We raised over £20,485.16 thanks to all your generosity and smashed our original target.





This years plan is to jump on some organised events throughout the year and raise some serious cash for our inspirational Harry Moseley Charity. We have another BIG event in mind for 2014. So we are using 2013 as a year long training session for this bad boy journey. Lol.
So far we have booked on "the Mad March Hare" (74 miles) and booking up on a Monster 100 mile event in Stratford-upon-Avon. see links below
As you are all aware we are not professionals in the least when it comes to cycling and as previous blogs show we get easily distracted by things such as pubs, beer, pies and anything else which stops us from becoming athletes. So I'm sure 2013 will be as eventful as 2012.

So let's get this thing rolling.

After a lot of Facebook & twitter chat all week between some of the team regarding whether and when people can get out, we still don't have a clue when we are getting out. Standard!!!
Some people could only do Saturday and some only Sunday. Myself and Tom decided on the Saturday (as snow was due on that evening) putting Sunday out of the question for a spin.
We spotted that @cultracing (bike shop) was trying to get numbers together for a Saturday morning spin. Tom and myself decided to pop along to try it out. I didn't tell my wife as I'm banned from the shop. Last time I went there (just to look at the bikes) I ended up with a new road bike, pedals, shoes, water bottle and cage. Thus maxing the credit card out to my wife's horror. Lol. (It's only money Honey, LOVE YOU) #hopeshebroughtthat
7.30am Tom came to my house to pick me up. We were buzzing at the fact we were getting out again but also a bit nervous due to not being on a bike since the start of December. The festive period has caused us to gain a few rolls and will surely have an impact on our "so called" fitness.
Bikes loaded in the van, we headed off to @cultracing shop in Earlswood (nice plug or what?)
We hit the M42 for two junctions and we could not see a thing due to the sudden down pour of snow. Are we going to get there and the ride is called off? We arrived at the shop and met a few of the other riders. All waiting for the gaffas Paul & Mel to decide to go ahead or not.
The decision was "ALL GO". Only down to Mel quoting shop rule no.5
Which is "stop being a wimp and harden the @£*+ up"
Who was we to argue with that!!!!
We quickly posed for a team photo for @cultracing (I'm good at this plugging stuff) and off we set.


@bcfcboz @t_bone86






Tom and myself looked at the other riders and they all had mudguards and overshoes on. Within 5 minutes of cycling in the snow downpour, we realized why. We were soaked through and freezing cold to boot. Our backsides were taking a bashing from the water on the road and our cycling shoes drenched through. This is not good. We have only done two miles and we are in a world of trouble. Battling on we started to churn out a few more miles, apart from feeling very uncomfortable due to the weather conditions. I felt ok physically and so did Tom. That was until we hit the first hill, "OH MY DAYS!!!" The fact that I haven't been on a decent ride for a few months took its toll. Oh and all the Xmas pies and beer consumed over the festive period didn't help one bit.
We managed to get over the hill to find another shortly after. Ten miles in and I'm really struggling. I was at the back of the group. My legs had turned to jelly and I just couldn't push anymore. I took some fluids on board whilst on the flat and relaxed a bit, waiting for my second wind.
The group ahead had stopped at a junction. I needed to stop for five minutes, but as I approached them they all started to ride off again. Lol.
After swearing in my head at them a few times I pushed on. Finally getting my second wind. A few more miles passed and the weather eased off a little, which was helping me to catch up with the group.
Twenty miles in with only ten to go, we hit another bloody hill. "BANG" I was gone again. If I wasn't surrounded by other blokes I would have cried. Haha. I dropped down to my lowest gear and was still struggling. I nearly got off my bike to walk up the damn thing. I started thinking of Harry and my own little ones as I do in these situations, which helped my mind set. HILL DONE!! After taking more water on board and the roads ahead looking flat, I got back up to speed. Tom was talking to me about random stuff as he does and I replied to him "sorry I'm not talking back too much, I'm breathing out of my a$$"
To which he replied "no worries Bri, just keep going" and carried on chatting some more. Haha. He loves a chin wag does Tom. #toplad

Five miles left to go and the weather takes a turn for the worse, again!. Coming down thick and fast, it was time to dig in and get back. One of the other riders had hit the wall and was struggling at this point. Trust me when I say I could feel his pain. The final mile ticked over and the finishing post was in site.
We got back to the shop and Tom and myself were wet through and were unable to feel our fingers or toes. We packed the bikes away and went into the shop to be greeted by Mel serving us up some hot coffee and banana cake (home made).
That went down like a goodun' (cheers Mel)
After a lengthy conversation of what we had just put ourselves through, it was time to head home.
In the van on the way home Tom and I discussed how hard the cycle actually was. I thought I'd breeze it having done a fair few thirty milers before, but how wrong was I? TIME ON THE BIKE REQUIRED.
We got back over to Solihull and the place was bone dry. No sign of any snow or rain. Typical ay?
Anyway, glad we got out and started our 2013 training.

Oh Tom and I have now ordered some mud guards. Live and learn guys, live and learn.

BRING IT ON.

If you fancy joining us on any of the events we are doing this year you are more than welcome.
We will post all the events we are taking part in. All you have to do is follow the links. Book up yourself and train for the task ahead.
Get in touch with us and we will get you on the blog and website. All the money you raise on these events will go in the CYCLINGFORHARRY just giving bank to be passed on to Helpharryhelpothers. It's a simple as that. ARE YOU UP FOR A CHALLENGE?
Contact us via Facebook/twitter to join in


LINKS ARE BELOW

Please support us on this Mad March Hare 73 miles in the cold.
(SOLD OUT)

http://www.wheelheroes.org.uk
100 miles in one day

TEXT DONATION
You can now donate via TEXT.

Simply text to 70070

type HHHO88 £(your amount)

OUR JUST GIVING PAGE

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Share this, comment, retweet, like, dislike, Tell everyone you know. Lets raise awareness as well as cash. Peace and love 
Bcfcboz out!

Tom

Brian






No comments:

Post a Comment